Can Any Other Charger Be Used With a Dell Laptop?
Over the course of time you may have wondered if you always have to use a Dell laptop charger with your Dell laptop. Maybe you’ve had to buy another charger and you saw one under another brand that was cheaper, or maybe you just happen to have a charger left over from an old computer you used at one time. No matter what the reason, the question’s probably crossed your mind at least once if you are a Dell laptop owner.
The answer is an emphatic «No!» When you are going to recharge your Dell laptop you must use an authentic Dell Inspiron power supply laptop charger or the results could be disastrous.
Now pay attention, because this isn’t just some doom and gloom prediction that will probably never come true. If you use any other charger except a Dell Power Supply you are courting disaster. Ignoring all advice against this, some people have opted to use another brand of adapter with a Dell laptop and have regretted it. Here’s why you should absolutely never do this:
1. Many laptop manufacturers consider using another type of charger to automatically void the warranty.
2. Different laptops use different power supply types and power settings. That’s what makes it dangerous to use a charger that is not the same brand as the laptop.
3. Dell has made their laptop and notebook chargers proprietary. What that means is that you must go back to Dell and buy their make and model of charger. Even the connectors are Dell specific.
4. Even if the charger fits don’t use it. There could be subtle differences in the electrical frequencies which might prevent the charger from charging the laptop’s battery. The charger could even end up damaging the laptop.
5. If you use a different charger your battery won’t charge because there is a regulator inside to prevent you from using another brand. It’s also there to prevent a complete meltdown of your laptop, because the frequency and current of the electricity is different for every laptop.
6. If you use a different charger not only could you damage your laptop so severely that it could be rendered irreparable, but you could also cause a fire or even short out the electricity in your home.
Dell laptops and Dell laptop chargers are designed to be compatible only with each other, so if you use another type of power supply you do so at your own risk. When your laptop is damaged by doing this you will have to have it repaired, or even buy another one out of your own money, and that’s not a cheap prospect. Besides, why would you want to go with another brand of charger anyhow? Dell keeps its chargers reasonably priced and readily available both online and in stores.